Myoko Snowcat Tours
(WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING BOOKINGS FOR THIS COMPANY FOR THE 2016/17 SEASON)
Myoko Snowcat Tours operate in the Niigata Prefecture, with the staging area approximately 45 minutes drive (28km) northeast of Myoko Kogen
The Myoko cat skiing is available as either a group tour where you join others and pay per person (minimum 6 people to operate, maximum 12), or a chartered snowcat tour where you organise your own group and book the entire snowcat.
The day (8:00 am to 6:00 pm) includes cat skiing, guiding with qualified and experienced English speaking guides. Lunch is provided in a hut on the mountain and guests can finish the day with a hot spring (onsen).
Snowcat Skiing Terrain
The Myoko cat skiing terrain is below the treeline and has a good variety of lines including gentle slopes with smatterings of trees, and steep slopes with tighter trees. The terrain also has pillows, mushrooms and other jumps. Run lengths are about 200 - 400 metres of vertical powder.
A typical day consists of about 5 - 7 runs which equates to about 2,000 metres of vertical.
There is a wide variety of terrain for all levels, however skiers and boarders as a minimum should be a strong intermediate, have a good level of fitness, and have some powder skiing/riding experience.
The operator doesn't provide transfers to/from Myoko Kogen however the booking agency for these tours offers inexpensive transfers to guests staying at their lodging: Chalet Myoko
. Alternatively you can organise a taxi for a private transfer however this can be quite expensive.
Avalanche safety gear is not included in the package price however beacons can be rented from the operator for the day. It is a requirement that everyone wear an avalanche beacon for the entire day. If you have a shovel, probe & backpack, it is recommended that you use these for additional safety.
This package doesn't include accommodation however we recommend Chalet Myoko
who are also the booking agency for Myoko Snowcat Tours. If you stay at the chalet, they offer guests a very inexpensive shuttle to/from the meeting area (about 45 mins drive from Myoko Kogen).
Alternatively you can look for other accommodation options here>>
- 8:00 am - meet at Yasuragi-Sou
- 8:15 - 8:30 - travel to base camp to meet the snowcat
- 8:30 - 9:00 - avalanche & snowcat safety briefing
- 9:00 - 12:00 - ski/board
- 12:00 - 13:00 - lunch
- 13:00 - 15:30 - ski/board
- 15:30 - 15:45 - return to basecamp and travel back to Yasuragi-Sou where you can have a hot spring to end your epic day
2016-17 Rates & Inclusions
Price: ¥39,800 per person
Price is per person
- Minimum of 6 people required for day to run
- Payments are in Japanese Yen
- Payment in other currencies possible by PayPal with 2.5% surcharge
- Cat skiing
- Pass to hot springs
- Max 12 guests in snowcat
- Avalanche beacon rental - JPY 3,000/day
- Return transfers from Myoko - JPY 2,200/person
Myoko Snowcat Tours Terms & Conditions
- Full payment is required to confirm all reservations.
- No refund when client cancels
- Transferable to another person
- Full refund if the operator cancels due to weather, snow conditions, or equipment failure
Whilst your safety is of the utmost importance to the operator and its guides, this is backcountry skiing which has increased risks. It is a requirement that all participants sign a legal waiver to release the operate from liability in the event of an accident. It is imperative that you have the correct type of insurance to cover you should such an incident occur.