Tenjin Lodge is a great pick for your stay because the accommodation is very oriented to the needs of skiers and snowboarders, and the family run lodge has English speaking owners that are incredibly hospitable. The simple, reasonably priced rooms are either Western or Japanese style, with hot water available in a shared bathroom. Tenjin Lodge is a great place to meet like-minded powder hounds, thanks to its communal areas and laid back vibe.
You can stay here as part of Tenjindaira Backcountry Tours
Where is Tenjin Lodge?
Tenjin Lodge is the closest accommodation to the Tanigawadake Tenjindaira
ski area; only 800 metres away. Tenjin Lodge is about 9km north of Minakami in the Gunma Prefecture, and 180km northwest of Tokyo. Okutone Snow Park is a 10-minute drive away, whilst Houdaigi Ski Resort
is within a 20-minute drive.
See the travel to Tenjindaira
page for more information on the location and getting there.
Tenjin Lodge provides transport to and from the Minakami train station.
The lodge has a range of rooms:
- double bed rooms, western style, balcony views, ensuite bathroom (shared bathing)
- twin bed rooms with 2 king size single beds, balcony with views, private ensuite (shared bathing)
- tatami room sleeps 1-4 on futons, balcony views of mountain or river, ensuite bathroom (shared bathing)
- family room, sleeps 4-6 in 2 adjoining rooms, 2 twin beds plus tatami room
The rooms with ensuite bathroom do not have hot water. Hot water for bathing is available in the shared bathroom, which includes showers (available 24 hours) and separate hot baths for men and women (available 5-8pm). The baths are fed by mountain spring water, although they’re not officially onsen because the water is artificially heated.
Facilities & Services
Facilities and services include:
- communal area with lounges and TV/DVD
- snowshoe tours
- ski and snowboard rentals
- ski and snowboard lessons
- ski and snowboard storage
- free wifi
- complimentary transport to and from Minakami Houdaigi Ski Resort
- complimentary transport to and from Minakami train station
- discounts for lift passes at Tenjindaira
- advice on local activities and restaurants
Other bonuses of staying here are that the owner can provide guiding at Tenjin in Jan and Feb and Kagura
Dining and Bar
Breakfast is served at the lodge and you can choose from a simple or mountain breakfast, or a combo. A simple breakfast consists of eggs, toast, coffee/tea and juice, whilst a mountain breakfast includes oatmeal.
You can have dinner at the lodge. They cook one meal per night such as pasta, southeast Asian and Korean dishes, roasts, or nabes (they can also cater for vegetarians). Otherwise there are lots of restaurants in Minakami.
The lodge has a bar so you can buy a beer or other alcoholic beverage and relax on one of the sofas, whilst reliving your experiences of a big powder day.