Mountain Ventures Australia (MVA) is a tour company who are passionate about providing unforgettable snow adventures combining culture and amazing powder runs whilst improving your skiing and snowboarding along the way!
MVA instructor/guides all have formal instructor qualifications relevant to the various levels of skiers and boarders they will be coaching.
Myoko Progression Tour Summary
The Myoko Progression Tour tour is based in beautiful Myoko-Kogen Japan
where the average snowfall is a crazy 13+ metres per season. In Myoko you can immerse in real Japanese culture and gain experiences unlike the bigger and more popular Japanese
resorts where westerners turn up in droves.
Whether you are an absolute beginner or a more advanced skier or snowboarder, you will be grouped accordingly with one of MVA's instructor/guides to take your skiing and riding to the next level whilst having maximum fun.
For intermediates and above, you will head to various ski areas around Myoko Kogen and other relatively close resorts with your instructor/guide so you get to experience a variety of ski areas and hidden stashes of untracked POW!
You can expect to be hanging out with a variety of like-minded people, solo travelers, couples and groups (average ages of 24 to 50 but if you are outside of this age range it doesn't mean you aren't welcome). The minimum age for these tours is 18.
Each tour date has a maximum of 12 guests, however the maximum group size you will ski/board in is 6 guests to an instructor/guide.
MVA personnel will be available 24 hours a day to make sure you have the most epic time possible.
This instruction/progression tour is for all abilities, first-timers, beginners, intermediate and advanced. The aim of the tour is to plug you in with an appropriate group and instructor and to help you develop your skills.
Resorts/Ski Areas Visited (Depending on Conditions)
Each day your instructor/guide will determine which ski area will offer the best conditions on the day. Some of the ski areas you are likely to visit are; Akakura Kanko, Akakura Onsen, Ikenotaira, Suginohara, Madarao, Tangram & Seki Onsen.
Drive times to resorts (other than Akakura Kanko and Akakuro Onsen) vary from 15 minutes to 1 hour in good road conditions.
Myoko Kogen is home base....
...tuition in the field....
...and superb (& inexpensive) food
Accommodation & Meals
The Villa Mon Repos
is located ski-in/ski-out on the Akakura Kanko slopes (and is one of the very few ski-in/out properties in Myoko Kogen). You can literally ski out the door in the morning onto the lifts. It is located approximately 15 minutes walk from the main village where you will find a variety of restaurants & bars.
It offers simple Japanese and western-style 2, 3 and 4 share rooms with views of Myoko Highlands. There are a couple of rooms with a private toilet however most use shared bathroom facilities (segregated into male & female).
There is a large communal area and fire place and on-site bar, providing a perfect place to relax and unwind with your new friends after a long day on the hill. The lodge also has a restaurant where breakfast is served each morning, plus the restaurant is open in the evenings if you prefer to stay in.
Free wifi is available for those wanting to catch up on a bit of work or to send some brag photos to friends!
Outside Villa Mon Repos..
.....on-site restaurant & bar
Day 1 (Arrival Day)
Arrive at Myoko Kogen any time on the first day where you will meet the MVA staff and get allocated a room so you can settle in.
That evening you will be provided with a "welcome dinner" and some drinks so you can meet all of the MVA guides and other guests on the tour. Try not to party too hard on the first night as you will be up early to hit the slopes in the morning.
See more information about getting to Myoko Kogen here
Day 2 - 4 (Guided Days)
On the first morning you will be allocated a guide and group based on your ability. If you have your own group of 6, you can all stick together however you will need to ski and ride in areas that work for the least experienced of the group. And then you'll be off to experience the great powder Myoko has to offer.
Each day your guide will meet with you after or during breakfast at the lodge to chat about the best places to visit based on weather and snow conditions. On some days you might ski straight out the front-door where you can access the lifts for Akakura Kanko and Akakura Onsen, whereas other days you will load onto the private shuttle bus and head to a different ski area which may be anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour drive away.
Each night you can head into town (15 mins walk) to check out the good variety of restaurants and bars available. Myoko is renowned for great quality food at very reasonable prices.
Day 5 (Optional Rest Day)
On day 5 you can take a day off to do some other activities in the area or you can freeski.
Day 6 & 7 (FreeSki Days)
These days are unguided however you are covered for lift passes so you can get out there and enjoy your last couple of days skiing or boarding.
At the end of day 7 you will have a farewell dinner where you can party and reminisce of your great experience with your new-found friends.
Day 8 (Departure day)
After breakfast it is time to say good bye, however if you don't need to hit the road until late that day you will have the option to store your gear at the lodge and buy a lift pass to get one last day or half day of skiing or boarding in.
Rates & Inclusions
- based on twin, triple & quad share per person
- if you are a solo traveler or have an odd number in your group that doesn't match up with the available rooms, you will be placed in a room with other people on the tour
- there is no single room supplement available for this tour
- base/invoice currency us Australian Dollars
- 7 nights lodge style accommodation.
- Local, professional and knowledgeable tour guide at your service 24/7 so you can relax and enjoy your holiday.
- Cooked hot breakfast daily so you’re full of energy and ready for a day of shredding.
- Free Wi-Fi so you can stay connected.
- 3 full days private instruction and resort guiding with small 1:6 ratio so you can improve your riding while being shown all the hidden secrets of Myoko-Kogen.
- Private transfer direct from/to your accommodation on each guided day.
- 5 day all mountain lift pass so you can experience multiple resorts and terrain.
- Welcome dinner and drinks to get to know everyone right from the beginning.
- Farewell dinner at the end of the tour.
- 2, 3 and 4 share western and Japanese-style rooms available.
- Group tour activities, games and lots more!
- Travel to/from Myoko Kogen - MVA can assist with this
- Flights - book flights here - MVA can assist with this
- Travel Insurance - purchase online here
- Lunches, snacks, alcohol, dinners (apart from those advertised above)
- Equipment rental (although MVA can assist you with this)