The Hokkaido - Honshu Expedition- New for 2017!
Whilst Rising Sun Guides
is a brand new company, the owner (Andrew Spragg) has been offering guided trips in Hokkaido since 2005 and brings a highly experienced crew to his new operation.
This Hokkaido-Honshu Expedition Tour starts with 4 days in Southwest Hokkaido before crossing the Tsugaru strait to Northern Honshu. Once on Japan's main island of Honshu, the tours heads through the famed Tohoku region and ultimately down to the Japan Alps. Along the way, you’ll stop off to ski powder at a number of northern Honshu's hidden gems.
Not all the ski areas are mentioned in the program because this tour is designed to chase the best conditions on the day, however you can expect all kinds of experiences on this trip, a wide range of ski resorts of all types and sizes, and of course some great backcountry skiing.
There are only 10 spots and one date so you will need to be quick!
This tour is for skiers / snowboarders who are advanced to expert. You should have experience in skiing and riding steep, technical runs and in particular, tight trees. Ideally you will also have some deep powder skiing/riding experience.
As this tour also includes some backcountry touring from the lifts, you should be reasonably fit. It's OK if you have never toured before as your guide will show you the ropes, but you need to be keen to go uphill if the weather and snow dictate.
You will do plenty of this
.and sometimes a bit of this...
...and lots of this
Because this tour is a "chase the powder" tour, where you stay may ultimately depend on where the snow is puking at any stage of the tour.
All accommodation will be min 3 star, either hotel or Japanese Ryokan-style.
When staying in hotels, beds will typically be single western beds (twin or triple-share) and rooms will have private en suite.
When staying in a Ryokan, often the beds are Japanese-style (futons on the tatami floor) and again twin or triple share. Often these rooms don't have private en suites but shared (segregated male/female) bathrooms. Ryokans often have indoor and sometimes outdoor hot spring and a Japanese bathhouse (onsen).
In each case, breakfast will be provided each morning (most likely buffet-style with a reasonable selection of western food).
A typical 3 star hotel room...
.a typical Japanese Ryokan room...
...outdoor hot springs (rotenburo)
This itinerary is very high level because it is all about chasing the powder.
This tour starts at Sapporo Chitose Airport (CTS)
in Hokkaido and ends in Tokyo
Arrive at Chitose Airport and transfer to your Niseko accommodation where you will spend the first 3 nights.
Day 2 - 4
For the first 3 days you will be guided in the Niseko region with lots of options including nearby resorts of Moiwa
. It's all about getting the best conditions on the day so the destination will be determined by the snow conditions and the weather.
On day 5, you will have the morning to ski/board in Niseko before heading south via a private 4wd van. You will take a ferry ride from Hokkaido to Honshu where you will most likely spend your first night in Aomori located at the very top of Honshu.
Day 6 - 12
For the next 7 days, you will road trip from Northern Honshu all the way down to Tokyo visiting great ski areas in the Tohoku, Gunma and Niigata areas including some epic backcountry terrain along the way. The most likely first stop will be the legendary Hakkoda (weather dependent) where a single ropeway accesses 8 peaks of backcountry heaven. Other ski areas you might visit as you journey south (but not limited to) are Shizukuishi, Tazawako, Zao Onsen, Kagura, Naeba (there is actually an endless list to choose from!).
After breakfast you will transfer to the airport and head home or onwards filled with a lifetime of memories (and pics!).
2017 Rates & Inclusions
Full Price: ¥449,000
Price is per person, based on double or triple occupancy
- Single travelers, can request a single room upgrade
- Payments are in Japanese Yen
- Arrival airport transfer
- 11 guided ski days
- 11 days lift tickets
- 12 nights twin / triple share accommodation
- Daily breakfast
- All private transfers on guided ski days
- Max 4:1 guest to guide ratio
- Min 6 / Max 10 guests on trip
- Required travel insurance
- Flights - book flights here
- Lunch, dinner, drinks, onsen, shopping
- Single room upgrades available upon request
- Departure airport transfer although arrangements and instructions will be provided
- Avalanche safety kit and backcountry touring gear. Rental available – please inquire for rates and information
- Single room upgrade - Enquire for prices
- Avalanche safety gear - Enquire for prices
- Backcountry touring gear rentals - Enquire for price
Rising Sun Guides Terms & Conditions
A 25% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm all reservations.
- Full payment is due 60 days prior to the start of the tour. If the tour is booked within 60 days of departure, full payment is required to confirm.
- Cancellation within 60 days but 30 days prior to the tour will incur a tariff in the amount of 50% of the full tour cost.
- Cancellations within 30 days will incur a tariff in the amount of 100% of the full tour cost.
- At the time of booking, you will receive a message with your invoice allowing you to complete payment by international bank transfer or with your credit card through Paypal. Paypal is the preferred method on payments under 100,000Yen. There is a 4% service fee associated with all paypal transactions, however on payments up to 100,000 Yen Rising Sun Guides will accept this fee. For larger payments, the 4% service charge will be added to your invoice. Alternatively, bank transfer is the preferred method on large transactions as the associated flat rate fees are lower. All bank transfer details are available on your electronic invoice. If you choose to complete a bank transfer, please ignore the paypal service charge listed on your invoice and only transfer the amount owing on the balance line of your invoice before the paypal service fee.
Note: You do not need a Paypal account to use this online system. Simply follow the instructions and links provided with your electronic invoice.
- All customers signing up for a guided tour are required to read and sign a release of liability waiver before departing. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of the tour without refund.
- All participants under the age of 19 must also have a parent or legal guardian sign their release of liability.
- RSG reserves the right to cancel any tour at any time (typically due to inclement weather, unsafe backcountry travel conditions or guide injury / sickness). In the event of cancellation, the customer will be offered the opportunity to either reschedule or receive a refund.
All guests booking our backcountry or lift assisted day trips are covered by the RSG Powder Guarantee.
- All participants entering the backcountry (anywhere outside of the ski area boundary) on a guided tour must be at least 13 years of age.
- We ask guests to be honest with themselves about their skill level. If you have booked and paid for a trip with RSG but it is clear that your skills are insufficient for the trip you have booked, we will cancel the remainder of the day and refund 50% of your booking fee.
- It is your responsibility to care for any rental equipment supplied by Rising Sun. Guests will be charged for repair or replacement of any lost or damaged items.